Monday, December 15, 2014

Wreaths Across America

Arlington National Cemetary during the 2014 laying of the wreaths
with the Air Force Memorial in the background. 
My father served in the Air Force for 26 years, so I thought it was fitting.
I know I've mentioned before that my father is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.  I miss him tremendously, but especially at the holidays.  This was he and my mother's favorite time of year.  She would decorate and he would cook.  No matter where we were in the world, we had a Christmas.  No matter how little money we had, we had a Christmas.  It was always about Jesus and family.

In keeping with that, we've been decorating the house and DH is coming home to meet family this year.  I find myself visiting my father's grave and being thankful for the upkeep and annual wreaths and flags faithfully placed on his gravesite.  It's comforting to me that he's still getting a little Christmas down here while I parties with the birthday boy up there.

My mother has not gotten to decorate in the past few years, something I'd like to change, the way she used to - partially because she was grieving and partially due to the amount of work it takes.  This year, my sister and I participated in Wreaths Across America and helped lay wreaths not just for our father but many others who faithfully served.  It's reminded me that I need to do more for not only those who have passed on, but the ones left behind with us as well.  Here are some other pics I took at the cemetary.  I'm sure there will be snazzy professional ones that come out later, but here you go.






No comments: