Tuesday, November 25, 2014

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 8

Today has gotten away from me.   All of my draft posts sit untouched, my book with pages unwritten, and I still have so much to do!  All that being said, I can't forgo this one thing right now.  It's making a huge difference in my every day life.  Here we go!

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 8

Day 1: Me!
Day 2: My Hubby!
Day 3: My Immediate Family!
Day 4: My Extended Family!
Day 5: My Friends!
Day 6: My Dogs!
Day 7: My Job!

Day 8:  My Country!

Ok, I know this is a bit hokey but this country is pretty awesome, right?  I love travelling and have considered living abroad, but even so this country is great.  When I think of the growth and opportunity allowed in the United States (and don't dig too deep, because sure there are issues...), I'm kind of overwhelmed.

It has taken other countries THOUSANDS of years to get as far as this one has in a few hundred.  Imagine where it could be if things continue on a positive and prosperous path?  You and I?  We're a part of it all.  Sure, maybe we're a teeny tiny microorganism in comparison but every molecule plays a part.

I can wear what I want, go where I want, say what I want, think how I want - those are heady concepts not to be dismissed lightly.  To quote Spiderman (or someone who writes for him at least), "With great power comes great responsibility".  All this opportunity and freedom requires self-discipline, awareness, and empathy for others.  It means not confusing having the right to do something with being right in doing it.  Boundaries are important.  Ask every state, country, and parent - ever.

Right or wrong, there is process and law in this country.  Some places don't even have the basics of that... they are forever ruled by whomever has the biggest rock. The chance for education, growth, changing your future every single day you wake up no matter who you are, what color you are, or where you were born - those are the gifts of a country like ours. 

So, short and sweet - that's my thankfulness for today.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: