Thursday, October 2, 2014

Master Bathroom and my obssession with tiles

When my husband and I remodeled his old home to sell, one of my favorite parts was redesigning the bathrooms and kitchens.  More explicitly, pouring through countless styles of tile for walls and backsplashes.  Give me all the tiles.  They range from starkly simple to garishly ornate.  The artist in me sees something in all of them. 

Suffice to say that now we need to retile the master bedroom shower.  (Grr) I am back in my happy place looking at tile. (Yay)  We are still on a super strict budget and it needs to blend in nicely with the existing tiles.  (I love a challenge!)

I am currently inspired by this:


Our light beight blah tile has no personality and putting some of this tile combination in the shower will liven up the bathroom considerably, without making it seem over busy nor scare off future buyers if we ever sell.  It may change my paint plans for this room (peacock blue, but we'll see) and that's ok.  I love it.  If I can find a nice river rock tile pattern to put on the floor of the shower, I would be over the moon.

Now to see what the hubby thinks of it. (Muy importante)

As for the topic of tiles, they have come a long way.   From inkjet printed tiles that look like natural stone but are a fraction of the cost in ceramic or porcelain to wood plank ceramic tiles you can use as flooring in wet areas or basements.  They are gorgeous and creative!

We have a new store, Floor and Decor, in the Woodbridge area that is a mecca of tile.  From wood flooring to mosaic backsplash, they have it all.  I could spend a lot of time in that store... but they might think I'm weird.

I'm waiting for chalkboard or whiteboard tiles to become a thing.  I have a ton of ideas you could do with those interactive sorts of things.  The metal tiles need to be magnetic or at least hold magnets.  You could conceivably tile a wall in your office as your message board wall.  From cork tiles to metal to white board tiles (hey tile makers get on that!), the options are boundless.

Imagine an entire whiteboard tiled wall for the kids to draw on.  Yes, you could just use paint, but if you use tile and they accidentally use something that isn't a whiteboard pen - you could still wash it off the tile!

Am I the only one who sits dreamily staring at tile?  Hello?

No comments: