Monday, September 15, 2014

Meet the new member of the family - Teddy Bear!

Since there has been a rash of events in my life, I'm going to backtrack a ways (if I repeat myself, we'll blame old age) and catch you up!


This is Lola - my dog of 7+ years

This is Teddy Bear, her new brother.

When we adopted Teddy Bear it was after many months of looking for another dog near Lola's size that didn't shed.  We were planning on getting a girl, my husband really wanted her to have a playmate, and had sort of forgotten we were on several rescue lists after not finding a pup for so long.  After the horrendous fall and winter of loss for us, plus the stress of fighting for the new house, another dog was not on my radar. 

We got a message from K9 Rescue and a picture of a woman holding an Ewok.  Seriously, that's what he looked like - he was a year old in February and since his owner (at age 80) had purchased him from a breeder (GRrRrR!) she had been unable to keep up with his care. He hadn't seen a vet in many months, had NEVER seen a groomer (which for a Shih Tzu / Westie Mix is a crime!) and was too much for her to handle.  The poor thing lacked socialization, though was very sweet, non-aggressive (probably because he could never see), and whined a lot.

I could not let him be homeless and without care another day.  When we got him it was right after he had been neutered, treated for tapeworms :(, and shaved bald due to the severe matting.  He had been such a mess.  I took him home and at first Lola was pretty calm and disinterested.  My darling husband was... surprised (it happened really fast and he had to just trust me) about it being a boy.

I'm pretty sure Lola thought Teddy was just visiting.  A couple weeks into it, she kept giving us all dirty looks because he was still around.  Now, they are buddies.  They play together, eat, sleep...just enjoy having a companion.  It's rejuvinated my middle aged girl and given Teddy a pack for the first time. 

The kids love them both, but Teddy is a real energetic guy - so he plays the most.

Not for nothing, that was right around the time I made my very first King cake from scratch.  I know, I'm a lazy southerner, but it's work people!  It came out ok, but now I'm determined to make it perfect (and my own recipe) next year.   I also introduced my hubby to a muffaleta.  It doesn't look so great here, spread open to see the ingredients, but it was AWESOME!!!  He will be coming with me to New Orleans for Christmas for the first time - I'll get him one at home to compare.

 

Forgive the cell phone pics, but at the time these were quick shots for no reason.  I didn't know if / when I would get to return to blogging.  I promise future pictures will be a bit better.  (A bit because I lack the patience of a good photographer.)

No comments: