Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Straight Line or Crooked Path?

The fastest way from here to there is a straight line.

Think about that. That piece of wisdom only works if you know where "here" is and where "there" is supposed to be.

I'm currently reading a book called "What Got You Here, Won't Get You There" by Marshall Goldsmith. He discusses 20 things successful people do that worked to get them to point A but will actually prevent them from gaining greater success.

I'm guilty of about 12 of these. Suffice to say, as I'm reading the book, I keep thinking - but if the fastest route is a straight line then I would think you'd keep on behaving the same way. Now then, let's be clear the fastest route would be considered the most efficient route in some circles. Certainly the most cost-effective or best use of time, but is it really the best route of all.

I look at my life and know I did not take the fast route to my level of success. I'm not super-famous or rich, but I have my personal level of achievement. However, to get here, I took the most non-traditional, round-robin, convoluted, mistake-laden route possible.

I think I'm better for it, however. I'm smarter than most people my age about things only experience and wisdom can teach you. Instead of waiting for life to happen to me, I happened to my life. For good or bad.

This is just a ponder for me, at the moment, but I will revisit this idea in more detail later. Right now, I have a book to finish.

No comments: