Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tiny House = HUMONGOUS IDEA

The hubby and I watched a show on people downsizing their lives into a 200 sq ft house.  Some of them were single, some were couples.  None of them had kids or more than one pet.  It was interesting (in that social-National-Geographic-special kind of way) but we readily admitted not for us.  While watching it, I commented that it would be great if there were a way for people without a house to have one of those for themselves.

I then launched into my whole "If I was Oprah, I'd buy some of the dying towns across America and let homeless people work them and bring them back to life.  Thus reviving commerce and giving homeless people jobs and homes.... I mean, if you're going to have more money than you can EVER spend in 10 lifetimes, why not make the difference of 10 lifetimes, right?" spiel.  I could go on about this forever.  I have definite opinions on people with that much money who can't be creative and make a real difference.  Don't give away free cars - give away a chance at a real life!

I digress.

Anyway, I sort of let the thought go (mostly) and moved on.  Imagine my surprise and extreme pleasure at reading this article in Good Housekeeping.  (OK, the online article...)

Did you read it?  Go back and read it!  Now.  It's a stunning reminder that people have it in them to be creative and awesome in ways that only benefit others.  Imagine taking an empty lot (say of a now defunct shopping mall) and putting in a subdivision of tiny houses for the homeless?  Better yet, if they build their own house - they could also start businesses right there!  You could have them run a community center, community stores (swap centers, DIY rehab facilities, etc.), and public services facilities.  Locals in the community could work alongside to help them grow and establish roots. 

If they outgrow the tiny community, hopefully by then they have saved what they need to acquire a larger space (or build it themselves) as well as a resume they can now use to get new employment if needed.  Seriously, it's DIY rehab for people who may have lost hope.

Now I know there is a segment of the population incapable of holding down regular jobs or requiring medical care and oversight.  There are those that may never be able to truly escape the homeless cycle for valid reasons (that do not include alcoholism, laziness, or oppression).  I still think the idea could work for them.  On-site medical care for them provides employment for a dedicated staff while they get whatever dignity possible by having their own actual home.

200 sq feet is not a lot of area.  You could probably fit 2 in the back of a townhouse, 4in a 1/4 acre back yard, and so forth. 

I know I'm a silly idealist, but even if you can find a hundred reasons my idea wouldn't work - you have to admit it's creative and inspiring.  It may not be perfect but it's POSSIBLE.  The people of Wisconsin are proving that!  Despite the results, even if it's a giant failure or has serious hiccups along the way - I think we should all take a message of hope from the effort.

Are you inspired?  I am!

No comments: