Thursday, November 20, 2014

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 3

Happy Thursday!  I hope you're also joining me on the 10 days of Thanksgiving challenge.  I'm excited about the concept.  It really does change your day.  (As if I didn't have enough to be excited about between my upcoming fab post and How To Get Away With Murder finale.  Seriously, I do NOT know who killed Sam, and I WANT to...

So a quick recap:

Day 1: Me!
Day 2: My Husband!

Day 3 of Thanksgiving is dedicated to: My Immediate Family!

I am so grateful to have had parents that were engaged.  They weren't perfect and mistakes were made, but they were active participants in our lives.  Discipline wasn't a bad word in our house and we're better adults for it.  My parents showed love in the details of our lives together.  We were really bonded - which the military helped along.

For my Dad, who I miss greatly every day, I am thankful for my logical thinking (most of the time) and my self-sufficiency.  I learned forgiveness from him and the ability to be a good friend.  He taught me how to budget (eventually) and how to succeed by having a good work ethic.  His faithfulness was a shining example of how imperfect people can still reflect the perfection of Christ in their daily lives.

From my Mother, I have learned patience and perserverance.  She is the nurturer who worries too much but for all the right reasons.  Empathy should be her middle name.  Attention to detail and research is another trait for which I thank her.  She has been an amazing seamstress, cake decorator (my inspiration in fact), artist, singer, performer, mother, daughter, sister, aunt and Christian woman.  I've learned how to pray and how not to overreact (some examples our parents teach us are things NOT to emulate).  Even now, I watch her grow and adapt after losing her husband of 36 years and I am humbled by how much she has proven she can do.

I am very thankful for my brother and sister.  I know there are people who don't like their siblings, but I'm lucky.  I love both of them tremendously.  I've seen them achieve so much and have big dreams they continue to chase after.  They are my friends and the only people who know the life experiences that have shaped us all.  I give them credit for making me mother material (I pray, one day!) and for my sense of humor.  I've learned to laugh at myself and be fearless because of my relationship with them.  I've watched my brother battle hemophilia and learned that bravery isn't always at the superhero level.  I've seen my sister push boundaries and attempt new things I would not have considered.  We have explored the world, but I see in her that we're still learning the depths of human nature.  They are both so smart, gorgeous and talented - and don't really know it.

So I'm blessed with a great family.  Through the bad times (and we had our fair share) and the good times, we have taught one another how to live, laugh, love and play while holding hands.  Even if we're arguing along the way.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: