Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Art of Architectural Salvage shopping...

You can imagine my genuine surprise to find that there is a completely unknown market to me.  Well, there was - until I learned of architectural salvage shopping.  After watching shows like Rehab Addict and Black Dog Salvage, I wondered "who buys that stuff". 

Turns out, people like me do.  In the Baltimore / DC area there are a number of really good spots to get everything from antiques and vintage accents to modern film set leftovers, marquees and home remodeling supplies.

While I have always enjoyed ReStore, by Habitat for Humanity, the selections are limited.  They are the place to go for standard doors, parts, lights, and basic tile or construction materials.  But if you're looking for reclaimed barnwood, slabs of granite, copper vents and antique sinks, you're going to have to venture to someplace new.

For instance, my absolute favorite for truly eclectic and variety with quality items is Second Chance in Baltimore.  From the impressive and grand entrance to the huge stockpile of reclaimed wood floors, with an amazing assortment of furniture between, this store will take hours to peruse.  It's very hard to leave empty handed.  I haven't managed to yet. Too many pictures to link, apparently, but check out the site to see some of the new additions.  They change rapidly and some items never make it to the website because they are sold before the pictures can be posted!
Here are some lovely doors I found at Second Chance.  (Mary is not for sale!)  Luckily I came back the next day and got them.  Otherwise, I would have missed out.  Gorgeous bi-fold doors with chain mesh screens and neutral curtains.

Sadly, I also wanted this to put in our sunroom to house the daily dishes etc. to create my French gathering room.  Why sad?  Because I tried to wait until the price dropped and it was gone when I went back to get it.  Lesson learned.

If you're into something you can be more creative with or decorate a little more uniquely, then you'll want to visit Housewerks.  They are a little higher in cost, but the items are quite different. 

Remodeling a house?  Finishing a basement?  I can recommend The Community Forklift in Edmonston, MD right outside DC.  They have a remarkable selection of granite and other household items and seem to turnover their selection quickly at reasonable prices.  They are smaller than Second Chance but with a similar vibe.  There is also The Loading Dock in Baltimore.  It's what its name implies, a loading dock where extras

There are a few I have yet to visit, but have heard good things about:

The Brass Knob in DC
Cavarati's in Richmond

These are actually just a couple of many in my area.  Check out what's available where you live!  Check out nearby locales.  I've heard some interesting finds are available in Pennsylvania and North Carolina.  Those are both driving distance!

No comments: