Friday, May 10, 2013

Cicadas and other distractions

I am supposed to be finishing the post on building a house from the ground up (in Maryland).  However, I am distracted by so many things that I feel the need to post about now (or procrastinate reading my notes and forming intelligent thoughts).

1.  I had a birthday.  Nothing more to tell except, I don't feel any older / different than I did when I turned...30.  Except for the sciatic nerve stuff, and the out of shape-ness, and the tired early.  But other than that... it's all the same.

2.  Tonight is the 4th night of swimming laps.  I'm going to try for 15.  I used to swim 20 laps and it wouldn't even break my stride.  Now, 10 feels pretty good.  How sad is that?  At any rate, since 35 laps equals one mile, I think achieving 15 then 20 again is pretty good.  From not working out at all to three times a week swimming 1/3 - 1/2 a mile isn't bad.  Combine that with the salad experiment - I expect to see some results.  Do you hear me scale? Cause, I'm looking directly at you!

3.  Cicadas are already coming out of the ground.  I have nightmares about this, I'm not joking.  While my serious phobia is spiders, I generally despise all bugs.  Giant crickets, Daddy Long Legs, Grasshoppers, Cicadas - anything that will invade my space without care and have too many legs while it lands on me, my hair, etc. is going to send me into a panic.  Billions of these things being around is terrifying.  I wish I had a flock of birds living around me at all times. I'd walk under an umbrella to avoid the poop so long as they ate the bugs.  Please let them avoid my house... Please?

4.  The news is draining me of joy.  From the bombing to the Benghazi trial to the Arias trial to the psycho who kidnapped and tortured those three girls, it's heartbreaking.  I watched footage of the crazy man's mother, children, friends and family.  They feel so horrible for not realizing he is a complete monster.  They were friends with the girls he kidnapped - I can't imagine how that feels.  And his mother... her heartbreak moved me as much as the story of the three girls.  I'm a stepmother now, and hopefully will be a mother myself, and I can imagine the disbelief and horror of a child you gave birth to and raised doing something so monstrous would be the height of depressing and demoralizing.  I pray for ALL of these people and situations.  The positives are there - that the women are alive and have escaped - so they can begin to heal and get help.  That his family weren't part of or subject to his monstrous behavior.  That justice was done in the Arias trial in the guilty verdict.  But there are so many things with far reaching consequences in all these situations - and it hurts that very human part of me that still wants there to be good in everyone - always.

5.  Mother's Day.  I worry about my mother a lot, now that she's basically on her own for the first time ever.  I know she's overwhelmed and lonely at times, and as her daughter - I want to fix it, but I can't.  So for Mother's Day, I've been struggling with a way to let her know how much she's loved in a tangible and memorable way.  Any thoughts?

So, that's what's been distracting me... but seriously, writing this other post is useful and informative, so I better get back to it....

Did I mention the cicadas are coming?

No comments: